Sorry for the delay in writing, with the euphoria of completing my first sportive, I forgot to blog about it!
Mike and I went down on the Saturday afternoon and stayed in a Travellodge off the A14. It was close to the village of Fenstanton where we enjoyed watching England trounce the Irish over a couple of beers and a steak sandwich. Next morning we woke early, had breakfast and then loaded the cars with all the gear. Bizarrely in the car park I met my cousin's ex husband who was also packing his car ready for the No Excuses Sportive. I think he was more shocked to see me than the other way round! Off to the event and although we arrived at 7:25 (car park opened at 7:20), the first car park was full. Kitted up we gently rode to the sign on. A large sports hall at Hinchbrooke College the sign on was very quick and painless and we rolled out the start at just after 8am. Now I probably set off too fast as I strung our small group out from the onset and 25 miles in we were over a mile up on our target time (avg 17mph) clocking an impressive 18.1mph average. That was until I braked on a manhole cover and hit the deck. Quickly putting the chain back on we were back on the road only for a few miles down the road to get the first few twinges of cramp. The weather turned a little fresher and the rain and wind joined the party. As we rolled into the second food stop we were 0.6 miles behind our target time. With a toilet stop, bottles filled and an energy gel necked we set back on the road for the last 20 miles, mindful that we were on the cusp of a gold time. With about 5 miles to go Mike pulled away and ended up finishing 42 seconds ahead of me and just 44 seconds shy of a gold time (avg 16mph). Obviously I therefore finished 86 seconds shy of a gold time in my first sportive. I should be pleased but as always there are a few ifs and buts. If only I hadn't fallen. If only we hadn't wrongly ridden into the first feed station (that we didn't plan to visit). If only I'd got my nutrition right and been properly hydrated pre ride.
A few of those things I can correct. I've already raised my seat to a more suitable height which should stop some premature tiring. I paid a visit to TFN in Beeston who gave me some brilliant nutrition advice, and have stocked up on gels and electrolyte drinks accordingly. I can get better bike handling skills!
Here's to the next sportive in April, the Kilotogo Mercia in Motion.
Results for the event can be found here
Photos of the event can be found here and enter my race number 0680 to view some pictures of me.